Frequently asked questions
What is Travel insurance? Why should I buy it?
To add a new question go to app settings and press "Manage Questions" button.While you travel, you are exposed to some of the nastiest situations. Sure, having a travel policy will not prevent you from landing in any situation but can help you getting out of it. Travel insurance saves you from unforeseen medical expenses, evacuations, covers cancellations, loss or delays and 24/7 assistance.
What’s covered in Travel Insurance and what’s not?
Below are the basic covers which your travel policy should have.
- Medical Expenses, Evacuation and Repatriation
- Personal Accident
- Loss of Checked Baggage
- Delay of Baggage
- Loss of Passport
- Trip Cancellations/Delays
- Home Burglary Insurance
- Trip Curtailment
Travel insurance isn't designed to cover everything. Terms, conditions, and exclusions do apply, so be sure to read your full policy wording to avoid surprises.
Below are the few exclusions.
- Expenses related to preexisting medical conditions unless your policy says otherwise
- Nonemergency medical expenses, such as eyeglasses or contact lenses, routine medical check-ups, or cosmetic procedures, dental care.
- Items left unsupervised in a public place
- Gear damaged while in use
- Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Risky Activities and Sports (unless specifically covered)
- Anything NOT in the List of Covered Items (Travel insurance is a named peril policy hence only the mentioned risks are covered).
I have a travel insurance given by my credit card company. Do I need to still purchase a separate policy?
Yes, you still need to have a comprehensive travel policy. Covers given by credit card companies may have some benefits, but the amount is limited and it totally lacks some essential coverage (like medical). You don’t want to be dependent on a credit card company for assistance at the time of emergency. Choose experts, always.
Domestic Travel Insurance policy. Is it important?
When uncertainties don’t discriminate where you are travelling to, then why should you? To make your domestic trips as pleasant and relaxing as your international ones, always buy a domestic travel policy. After all, home should feel like home.
I am a frequent traveller. Do I have to purchase a travel policy every time I travel?
No, you can opt for an annual travel policy which covers single or multiple trips for a period of 365 days. Ideal for frequent flyers, business travellers, freelancers and nomads. It is convenient and cost effective.
Do I really need a health insurance policy?
- Lifestyle With tectonic shift in our lifestyle we have become more prone to a wide range of health disorders. Commuting, hectic work schedules, wrong eating habits, quality of food, and rising levels of pollution have increased the risk of developing health problems. Nothing can prevent you from getting sick, a health insurance policy will definitely help you to get back on track ensuring the best possible treatment.
- Skyrocket medical costs Medical costs have dramatically risen lately. Health insurance will protect you and your family against any financial risks arising due to a medical emergency. Buying a proper health plan would help you in saving your hard-earned savings and other assets.
- Income tax benefit Payments made towards health insurance premiums are also eligible for tax deductions under section 80D of the Indian Income Tax Act.
- OPD coverage An Out-Patient Department cover, commonly known as OPD cover will ensure that your day to-day doctor needs like a doctor consultation fees, pharmacy and health check-up bills can be reimbursed too.
- Additional Benefits Insurers now offer policies which will cover your Ayurvedic & Homeopathic treatment hospitalisation expenses, Organ donor expenses, Physiotherapy expenses, Maternity expenses and New born baby cover. This only adds up to your vanilla cover for a comprehensive cover.
What are the different plans for Health insurance available?
- Hospitalisation Plan This is an indemnity plan which covers you for treatment and hospitalisation costs. For an individual policy, the insured sum is applied on a per member basis while in the family floater policy, the insured sum is applied on a floater basis.
Topup Plans You already have a Health Insurance base policy but you are looking for a higher sum insured. Base policy with higher sum insured can be expensive. Opt for a top up policy rather, covers you for expenses beyond your base policy and is quite cheap in comparison to the base policy.
Critical Illness Plans Ever thought about what you and your family would do if you were unable to go to work due to any serious illness? How will you pay for the treatment? This is when a Critical Illness cover will come to your rescue. This plan will give you a lump sum amount when you’re diagnosed with any of the covered critical illnesses.
What are the things to look for while choosing a health insurance plan?
While choosing a health insurance policy, here is the list of important things you should be aware of.
- Number of members and relations to be covered Because this will be the basis of buying policy.
- Type of coverage Individual, Family floater.
- Sum insured or coverage amount Ensure that you consider future expenses too.
- Room rent Check for the capping amount or criteria defined if applicable.
- Sublimits or co-pay applicable Check for the sub-limits applicable for some specific list of ailments or package treatments. Also check if the plan has co-pay feature.
- Network hospital list Check for the list of network hospitals and try buying a policy which covers your regular hospital.
- Policy wording Most important thing to check before buying a policy. In case you are not sure about certain term or condition you can always contact the insurer for clarification.
I am covered under my company’s group Mediclaim policy. Do I still need a separate health policy?
Chances are you already have a group Mediclaim cover from your organisation. Is that enough? No. Read on.
- Group insurance may/ may not cover your immediate dependents, parents.
- Organisations usually offer nominal sum insured (generally Rs. 200,000 to 500,000) which is not enough considering the number of members covered and cost of treatment of ailments.
- A recent report found that millennials change their jobs at an average of four times in their first decade of college, compared to about two job changes by Gen Xers in their first ten years of college. No one wants to miss a great opportunity but who ensures the group Mediclaim cover? Your next employer may not offer this cover at all.
I have already been diagnosed with a medical condition. Do I still get Health Insurance?
Yes, you can still get Health Insurance. However, your insurer is likely to impose a few conditions on your policy, depending on the current condition. Here is what can happen-
- A waiting period may be imposed on your policy. Specific ailments will be covered only after this period.
- The insurer may agree to cover you for those medical conditions which are not caused by your preexisting condition.
- You may be asked to pay a higher premium (loading).
What is home insurance? Is it really important to take one?
Home insurance provides coverage for your home and compensates you in the event of a loss. If your home is burglarized or is partially or totally destroyed by a cause that is covered by your policy, home insurance will help you replace your belongings, repair your home, or even rebuild. It also extends cover to your expensive gadgets, home appliances, paintings, artefacts and jewellery. Home insurance typically covers you for the following.
-Explosion due to gas appliances
-Bursting of water tanks or pipes
-Malicious acts of various types
- Earth quake
Who can buy the Home insurance policy?
Any Owner/ Occupant/ Person having an insurable interest in Flat /Apartment / Independent Building can purchase this insurance policy for the structure, contents, jewellery and valuables, Works of Art, Curios and Paintings.
Can I get a home insurance policy if I don’t own the property?
Oh, definitely yes. Although you cannot cover the structure since you do not have the insurable interest involved but you can definitely cover the contents which you own.
I have a long-term dwelling policy, is that enough?
Home insurance is a personal line of insurance. It covers losses to the property and also liability of the home owner for injuries and losses on and off the property, contents and other valuables inside the premises. A long-term dwelling policy only covers structure on re-instatement basis where as a home insurance policy can be purchased at market value basis too.
Can I opt for cover for Building or Household articles section alone in Home insurance?
Yes. You can opt either for Building or Household section (only contents).
How complicated is the claim procedure for Home insurance?
Insurance companies have now started uncomplicating the tedious claim procedures. You can apply for your claim online, paperless. Suffice the necessary documents and your claim is settled within no time.
Who should buy Cyber insurance policy?
Everyone from a teenager to senior citizens.. In today’s era we frequently make online transactions be it wallets, online shopping, use our credit/debit cards at merchants. Cyber insurance provides cover against loss due to cyber frauds. With Cyber Insurance, one can protect self and family members against financial risks due to unauthorized online transactions, phishing & email spoofing, social media cover, identity theft, cyber bullying and cyber extortion.
Can a corporate/ SME buy cyber insurance policy? Why is it important?
Yes, cyber insurance is more important for businesses. A report by Cybersecurity Ventures shows global cyber losses are anticipated to hit $6 trillion by 2021. This figure alone is sufficient to show how enormous this risk is going to be. This makes cyber insurance all the more important in the present day and age. When network and data security fail, it is cyber insurance that protects businesses from the crippling financial implications of such failure.
We’re not a mega-corporation, so do we really need cyber insurance coverage?
Small and medium sized businesses are increasingly targeted. Reports prove that cyber-attacks on businesses with fewer than 250 employees are more vulnerable to such attacks. These are ideal targets for cyber criminals, as these businesses don’t have the same resources and budgets dedicated to training and prevention as large corporations do.
What if there is a breach because of negligence in Cyber insurance policy?
Cyber insurance is more than coverage against malicious hackers and cyber criminals – it also covers human error and losses caused by employees. Most breaches are result of a malicious attack out of which 25% are due to negligence by employees or contractors.
What is a comprehensive motor policy?
A comprehensive car insurance policy provides protection to your motor vehicle against any impact damage, fire, theft, earthquake etc. In addition to this, it provides cover against any third-party liability in term of death, bodily injury and third-party property damage.
Should I buy a comprehensive or a third-party car insurance cover?
As per law, only third-party liability only policy is required without which one cannot use the vehicle on road. However, under third party liability only policy, any damage to your motor vehicle due to accident, fire, theft, earthquake, terrorism etc is not covered and it could result into a huge financial loss. Therefore, it is recommended to buy a comprehensive cover as it provides financial protection along with protection from third party liability.
What are the various long-term policies available for car insurance?
As per the Supreme Court directive, with effect from 1st Sept, 2018, every brand-new car owner has to buy a long-term motor policy. You may choose from the following long-term policies for your vehicle:
- Liability only motor vehicle policy for 3 years policy duration
- Motor vehicle Package policy for 3 years policy duration
- Bundled policy with 3 years liability cover and 1year cover for own damage
What is Zero depreciation cover or bumper to bumper coverage?
Zero depreciation is an add-on cover in the motor comprehensive policy and can be purchased by paying additional premium. It offers complete coverage to your vehicle without factoring into depreciation. For instance, if the cost to repair damages comes to Rs. 100,000; then you don’t need to pay any depreciation charges and will be eligible for full claim amount subject to terms and conditions of the policy.
What are the benefits of buying motor insurance online?
Its hassle free, involves no paper work and the policy can be issued instantly.
I am buying a new car; my dealer is offering motor insurance policy at x cost. Should I go ahead?
It is advisable to compare pricing before opting for insurance from the dealers.
How does cashless settlement work?
If you choose to give your vehicle for repairs to a service centre which is in tie-up with your insurer, your approved claim amount will be settled directly and your liability will just be the compulsory deductible. The amount of deductible is mentioned in your comprehensive motor insurance policy which is dependent on the vehicle’s cubic capacity.